• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help regarding final inventory

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wjclarkrn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I am the executor of my father's estate. There are 2 claims against the estate. One for around $7k and the other for $600. There is only $500 in the estate account. My father only had a run down van in his name and I sold that. I am trying to close out the estate and wanted to pay the 600 claim but there's not enought to pay the $7k. The clerk of court said i can't pay one and not pay the other and said something about pro-rating assets and told me to hire an attorney:confused:. What does this all mean?

tranquility

From http://www.olsenelderlaw.com/Articles/INSOLVENT ESTATES.doc :
(I'd check the link as it gives a lot of good advice.)
N.C.G.S. §28A-19-6 provides that after payment of costs and expenses of administration, the claims against the estate of a decedent must be paid in the following order:

(1) claims which have a specific lien on property;
(2) funeral expenses up to $2,000 (not including cemetery lot or grave marker);
(3) taxes and claims due the United States;
(4) taxes and claims due the State of North Carolina;
(5) judgments which are a lien on property of the decedent;
(6) wages due an employee of the decedent; and medical services within the last 12 months (including drugs, and medical supplies within that period for the last illness);
(7) all other claims.

There is no preference within a class, so if there are a number of general creditors of the estate, they will share pro rata based on the amount of their claims as provided in N.C.G.S. § 28A-19-13.
So, if the items you have to pay are from the same class, a pro rata share based on your facts would be:

One for around $7k and the other for $600. There is only $500 in the estate account.
1. $7,000 + $600 = $7,600
2. 7000/7600 = .921
3. 600/7600 = .079
4. $500 x .921 = $460.50 to the $7,000 debtor.
5. $500 x .079 = $39.50 to the $600 debtor.

wjclarkrn

Thanks for your reply. The $600 is attorney fees from where my dad owed the attorney from years back for will prep. The other $7k is to GM money bank for an ATV that was stolen about 7 years ago. This was a joint account with my husband and its on his credit as well.

TinkerBelleLuvr

It means that you divide the $500 between the two creditors. The bill of $600 is 7.89% of the total amount due; the other's bill is 92.1% of the bill. Multiple those percentages against the $500 and that is what you send to each creditor:

The one owed $600 would get $39.45; the other creditor gets the rest. Probate finalized.

wjclarkrn

I forgot to add.....

Dad had enough in his checking after he passed to pay for the headstone and I used that money for this purpose. The remaining funds came from the sell of the van. I just hate to have to pay an attorney (out of my pocket I'm sure) for this!!!

wjclarkrn

So I shouldn't have paid for the headstone out of the estate?? I didn't have the money to pay for it personally so what happens now?:confused:

tranquility

Look at the rules. Determine for yourself and/or seek council.

Creditors can gain compensation from those who breach their fiduciary responsibilities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">