• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate with Will has been filed intestate.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dganley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My stepmother died on April 30, 2010. My brother, sister, and I (three of her five heirs), found out today that the Executor of her estate (her son-in-law), and his lawyer filed the estate intestate on June 30, 2010, stating that they cannot find the original will. However, two weeks ago this Executor distributed copy's of my stepmother's signed & notarized WILL from 2000 to all of the heirs - at the same time. Besides myself and my two siblings, the other two heirs are my stepmother's two natural children. Our stepsisters have stated that they are not happy that me and my siblings are in their Mother's will, and have claimed they cannot find the original will. I am currently waiting on a callback from the attorney who drew up her will and signed it as a witness. In the meantime, can the Executor legally file the estate intestate? Isn't this illegal? I've also attempted to contact the Executor and his attorney - but they are not returning my calls. Please help!!

Thank you!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">