• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marital status discriminatiomn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmsoirez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Is it legal in Oklahoma to be fired or not considered for employment if you are married or in a relationship with a co worker?

pattytx

Is that married OR or is it married AND?

Just for curiosity's sake, what type of business and job is this?

Beth3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Is it legal in Oklahoma to be fired or not considered for employment if you are married or in a relationship with a co worker?
Assuming you mean married to someone who already works for this company, the answer is yes. That is not marital discrimination.

jumac

Nothing wrong with it shoot you see it all the time with places that won't let people who are related (blood or married) be in a spot where one has control over the other one. At my job someone became a supervior two of her relatives who work at the store had to transfer to another store then one of them got supervior at that store and the other had to get done.

dmsoirez

discrimination of marital status

I worked for this company for 2 years and was in the first layoff..then I was called back and worked there for almost 5 years. I began dating a co worker and was told by hr and the facility manager that it was ok and my job could never be in jeopardy because of it. 6 months later they laid off all employees that were in any type of relationship considered boy girl type. brothers, sisters, mother, daughter etc. was ok. one year later i was asked to come back but one of the exsisting employees who is angry because her boyfriend was let go has decided that she will not allow this as it is personal to her. the corporate hr department said it is fine for me to return. it just seems very wrong to me.

Beth3

6 months later they laid off all employees that were in any type of relationship considered boy girl type.

So they purposefully selected employees for layoff and only employees for layoff who were involved in a romantic relationship at work? That strikes me as so peculiar, I don't even know what to comment, other than to say it's legal. Are you sure it wasn't coincidental that some of those who were laid off happened to be involved in a romantic relationship with a coworker? :confused:

one year later i was asked to come back but one of the exsisting employees who is angry because her boyfriend was let go has decided that she will not allow this as it is personal to her.

Huh? What does this person's BF being laid off have to do with your being recalled? And what does SHE have to say about who the company recalls from layoff??? Unless she's the CEO or a senior executive, she has NOTHING to say about who gets recalled and who doesn't.

the corporate hr department said it is fine for me to return.

Then return as requested and ignore this woman's nonsense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">