• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forcing to sign a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

t12sanders

I am an RN employed in Maryland. My employer recently presented a contract to the staff (on my unit only), requiring us to sign the contract by a soon to be announced date or face termination. the contract states that if for some reason a heart monitor is lost then we will repay the current market value which currently runs $1500.00. The issue is that there are many variables involved with the small portable heart monitors and I am physically able to watch over them at all times. To make matters worse, ancillary staff throughout the hospital have on many occasions taken the monitors off our patients and taken them off our unit, only to lose the monitors. I was hired for patient care, not to babysit hospital machinary. I understand that I must respect and do what is possible to protect our machinary....but this is absolutely impossible. what are my legal rights? Can I be terminated for not agreeing with this contract? could I sign the contract but only with my own clauses included?

A

Attorney_Replogle

Sounds bogus to me. I would think that such a contract is unlawful as it is the employer's responsibility under the law to pay for the costs of doing business. The only exception is that if the employee steals or intentionally damages/destroys the equipment then he is liable to pay for it. So, if this law in CA is the same in your state of MD, then what is really happening is the employer is saying that unless you workers agree to pay for this stuff (which by law you don't have to) then I will fire you. Doesn't sound right to me. Do speak with a local employment law attorney near you for the current state view on this. Try locating one at https://attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">