• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help need to get this issue resolved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sgarrett1974

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new mexico

I quit my job on may30th,2010 because the company refused to fix ac and the building I was working out of was and still is a fire hazard. Us employees asked several times to have these things fixed but never got done, so I quit. Am I able to file for unemployment for good cause?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new mexico

I quit my job on may30th,2010 because the company refused to fix ac and the building I was working out of was and still is a fire hazard. Us employees asked several times to have these things fixed but never got done, so I quit. Am I able to file for unemployment for good cause?
Please tell me how the broken AC is a fire hazard?

pattytx

Or is it two separate things? No air conditioning AND a fire hazard? Or a fire hazard BECAUSE of no air conditioning?

What exactly was the fire hazard?

Hot Topic

Prove that the building was a fire hazard. Show your copy of the inspection done by the fire department. Prove that the company received a citation and didn't respond. Provide copies of your warnings about the fire danger that you sent to management.

Unlikely that you will collect unemployment unless you can prove that management knew there were fire hazards that they chose to ignore. A copy of a letter from the fire department that examined the company would be a huge help.

eerelations

Why are you asking now? You should have filed for UI benefits as soon as you quit - you'd have your answer from the UI people by now.

If you file now, and even if your claim is allowed (which is unlikely, see what other respondents have said), your benefits will only start now. They won't be backdated to your quit date.

As an aside, why didn't you report these serious health/fire hazards to OSHA/the fire department? Your claim for UI benefits would be much stronger had you done so.

Betty

Agree, you generally don't get UI benefits when you quit. You should have continued working but reported any "hazards" to the proper authority (ie OSHA) or at least prior to your quitting. It still won't hurt to go ahead & apply for benefits though - it doesn't cost anything. The state will make the decision whether you receive benefits or not.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">