• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

notary puplic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

madmarque

I am in Oregon and I have been named as executor to the estate of a late friend. I have two affidavits that I need to sign and have notarized but I have no forms of identification. About twelve years ago when I needed to have an affidavit notarized, I was told to take two of my siblings along with me and they would show their identification to the notary and vouch for my identity. This worked just fine. Is this still acceptable today?

tranquility

Per SECTION 1. ORS 194.515, the rule is:

(6) A notarial officer has satisfactory evidence that a person is the person whose true signature
is on a document if that person:
(a) Is personally known to the notarial officer;
(b) Is identified upon the oath or affirmation of a credible witness personally known to the
notarial officer; or
(c) Is identified on the basis of identification documents.
(7) For purposes of this section, “personally known” means familiarity with a person resulting
from interactions with that person over a period of time sufficient to eliminate every reasonable
doubt that the person has the identity claimed.
(8) For purposes of subsection (6)(c) of this section, a notarial officer has satisfactory evidence
upon which to identify a person if the person:
(a) Produces a current driver license or current identity card issued by any state;
(b) Produces a current United States passport or a current officially recognized passport
of a foreign country;
(c) Produces a current United States military identification card;
(d) Produces a current identity card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe;[(a)] (e) [The person] Produces at least one current document, other than a document de-
scribed in paragraphs (a) to (d) of this subsection, issued by the federal government or a state,
county, municipal or other local government and containing the person′s photograph, signature and
physical description;
[(b) The person produces at least two current documents, each issued by an institution, a business
entity, the federal government or a state, county, municipal or other local government and each con-
taining the person′s signature;] or
[(c)] (f) [The person] Is confined in a correctional facility and has been positively identified
through examination or comparison of official government documents or records.
[(9) If a notarial officer is also an employee of a financial institution, as defined in ORS 706.008,
and the person to be identified is a customer of the financial institution, one of the two current docu-
ments required under subsection (8)(b) of this section may be a signature card signed by the customer
and held by the financial institution in connection with the financial institution′s transactions with the
customer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">