• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lien on a Used Car, What Happens During Repossession?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fatsheep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hello,

I bought this used car from a private owner in NY. I accidentally purchased a used car while neglecting to notice that the previous owner had an active lien on it (stupid mistake, I know) since I did not know New York state law allowed the transfer of a vehicle that still had a lien on it. I found out about the lien, however, before I registered the vehicle at the DMV so the title and registration is still under the seller's name, and the lien is NOT in my name yet. I know I was fooled afterwards since the seller does not respond to any phone calls after the sale. I have tried to call his lien-holder about the amount to which the lien's balance still has, but the lien-holder claims that the company will not allow this information to be given to me unless the seller has granted permission.

My question is, during repossession, is the worst that can happen that the car is just repossessed, and I will not have to deal with any more of the leftover liens of the seller? Will this hurt my credit? I am hoping there are no further repercussions since the title and registration is still under the seller's name, all I have done is sent cash to the seller and had a bill of sales and a signed title.

Thanks

justalayman

, during repossession, is the worst that can happen that the car is just repossessed, and I will not have to deal with any more of the leftover liens of the seller?
correct

Will this hurt my credit?
no

You will be out your money of you cannot get it back from the seller though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">