• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do about my business partner?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristine145

California.

My business partner and I had an argument and now she wont return my phone calls. The problem with this is that she takes all the calls for our business because she has a better calling plan. I have been cut off of my business and I am scared that she is bad mouthing me to our clients.

Our agreement is that we split all profits 50/50, and when one of us has time off they still get there cut. It has been two weeks, she refuses to pay me my share and I don't know what to do. I had to sell my grandmother's jewelry just to make rent, my phone which is my lively hood is going to be shut off, I am so stuck.

I am worried to approach any of our regulars because of all of this mess and I am all ready hearing rumors about this.

I want to be prepared to go to court, I have looked into arbitration and small claims court (which is depressing, we were friends) however from everything I have read I am unclear if there is anything I can do about stopping her from ruining my reputation or repairing what she has already done.

I also don't know how to have the business split up by a judge. Would that be small claims court? We have a couple of regular businesses that we both work with that is the core of our business and we would need to split them up. Unfortunately, I know she thinks that because she has all the numbers that all our businesses are hers (I know this because she said that in our argument that started all of this)

I have been hoping all of this would just cool down and go away but after my rent deadline passed I fear that she is really out to ruin me. I don't know what to do and I know I am in over my head but I don't want to let my partner bully me out of my business. What can I do, any advice is welcome.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

I know it's a bit late now but:

contract comes at the beginning of the relationship

Due to the complexity of the situation, I would suggest an attorney that can actually review all of the pertinent information along with your understanding of the contract and then give you some direction.

I doubt this is going to be in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">