• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reposession fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jwalden1985

I reside in Texas. My Truck was reposessed by my credit union even though I was not behind on payments. When I called my Credit Union, they said that they had added insurance to my vehicle because they didnt have my proof of insurace. When I called my insurance company they proved that they sent my policy and someone from the credit union contacted them directly and asked for the policy to be mailed to a different branch. When I shared this with my credit union the lady said "well then its not for insurance, its because you were late 4 months ago" I explained that I was in this office 1 month ago and was told that I as up to date on all payments. She told me that I must have been mis-informed and that I had to pay $2,400 to get my truck back.

cosine

If you have all the records that prove you were right all the way, then sue them ... after going in and showing them copies of everything. Tell them if they agree (in writing) to cover the payment for a couple months for your inconveniences due to their error and return the truck within 24 hours, you won't sue.

jwalden1985

My house was broken into recently and my filing cabinet where I keep all my records was completely trashed and everything in it was pretty much garbage, in the cleaning I was able to salvage some but not all (not just for my truck but for fiance's car, morgage payments, etc).

I couldnt get anyone at the credit union to help me and I ended up paying to get it back because I was told that they would do nothing for me. My note was supposed to be up this month and I was just told that I still owe $3,000 on my truck. Can I request a payment history from the credit union on the loan? I dont believe this is correct. Also, since it is so close to bein the end of my term, I get a phone call every month (usually right after I pay) from the branch in missouri telling me that I am late and that I owe $380.00 or they are going to send an order to repo the truck. My payments are only $290.00 bi-weekly. When I explained that I have already made a payment at the houston office, and even if I hadnt, what is the extra $90 for, and she says "I dont know thats just what the computer says" So I go up to the houston branch and the lady there says "oh they dont know what they are talking about." But the bad thing is that the missouri branch is the only one authorized to order a repo and what if they do it again? What can I do?

cosine

You can request anything you want. Whether they give it, or not, is up to them. Maybe they will if you pay a fee to cover their costs for something that is not routine for them. If it gets to court, you would have a better than fair chance if getting it through discovery. But by then your costs would be much greater.

tammy8

Is this a buy here pay here type loan? Do you not have your own bank record where you made the payments? Why didn't you speak to someone who knew something besides, "this is what the computer said"?

And you have proof from your insurance company that you carried full phyical damage coverage the entire time with no lapses on the vehicle?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">