• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Q Re Unemployment Tiers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Knowalot

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I was laid off 5/1/09 and began receiving UI CA benefits as of 6/27/09; am now receiving Tier III and have $3600 left on that Tier. I just received a check for only one week with a notice that my one year claim had expired. I also received (1) a notice that I needed to file a new app for UI (same as original) (2) a Continued Claim form for one week saying send immediately and (3) a Continued Claim for two weeks saying send on 7/18/10. I am confused. If I file a totally new claim, I will have no base period wages showing as I have not worked for 52 weeks. (Of course, I am trying to call UI and sending the Continued Claim forms but don't understand filing a totally new claim. There is no way on CA site to file for just continued claim. Does anyone know what all this means?

swalsh411

You're right. You won't have any wages in the base period so you will continue on your current tier. You still need to file the claim though. (a requirement of the Federal extensions)

Knowalot

Unemployment Tiers

So by "claim" you mean a new application for Unemployment Insurance with the same information I used a year ago (nothing has changed)? Thank you for the reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">