• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shawn24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois,, I bought a car fom a dealership ad after doing te financing papers they told me i need to come back in a few weeks when the title comes in. Now the car is having problems with the car. They told me no to contact the dmv over this becuz they are no suppose to sell a car without a title... so my question is am i liable fo this car if i take it to them

justalayman

heres the deal.

to be able to legally sell the car, they must hold title to it. Since they apparently do not have title to the car, they cannot sell you the car. Simple?

So, what I would do is: take the car back to them. Tell them to provide the title now or refund your money.

If they refuse, contact the DMV and your states attorney general office and see where that gets you. Be sure you let the dealer know you are going to contact both of those offices as soon as you get home (make sure you do this when the offices are open (normal business hours) so you can contact them when you get home.

btw: if you caused the damage, you might have a problem.

If they can hand you the title right then, you are pretty much screwed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">