• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired for cause

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

i was recently fired at a company for failure to pay an AMEX bill for 6 weeks. it was not intentional, i had many other responsibilities and the bills got buried on my desk. i had a very good track record, my boss really enjoyed working with me, received a $5k bonus after 6 months. i received no warning, nor written record of misconduct. is this worth going to court for. i worked in new york city, new york

A

Attorney_Replogle

You were likely an at-will employee, so it is not worth fighting the former employer over. The reason is that being at-will means that the employer could terminate you at any time, with or without a reason. The only exceptions are that the termination can't be based on a protected category such as age, race, religion, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">