• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Coyote323

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California, My wife was arrested on a possession of crystal meth charge but the meth was not on her person it was in the car wich was parked and locked while she was in a 7-11 shopping,when she walked out she was confronted by a police officer because the registration on the car was expired but she never got back in the car where the meth was in and not in plain view either it was in her jacket pocket.so my question is did the officer have any reason for searching the car other than to get the registration and insurance papers?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Did she consent to the search?

In most cases the facts just dont even matter because she is going to plea, so her side of the story is irrelevent. Nothing is going to summarily magically dissolve this case and your PD is not going to help you do anything but make a deal in 95% of the cases.... So unless of course you will be hiring an attorney to challenge this case - the fishing expedition of this cops search and seizure... whatever happened in that parking lot is only a factual basis for her plea (unless it was so egregious the DA dont even want it.. and this doesnt sound like it) and not a matter of defense.

Presuming no priors with charges of 11377hs 4000vc 16028avc, she would be eligible for DEJ and Prop 36. So one of those are likely her future. If you guys arent buying yourself a lawyer due to finances, she should plead not guilty and ask for a PD so she can get advice on how this is going to go down.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What led the officer to go into the car? You're leaving out a chunk of the story.

If the car was going to get impounded then an inventory search is standard procedure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">