• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

construction dilemma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimlea

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin
Any suggestions on how to get my contractor to give me my money back? I gave him a 10% downpayment for a home I wanted to have built. I have enough equity in my property to pay for a newly built home, plus I had 25% of the cost of the home in savings. I didn't think the bank would refuse a mortgage, but they did. I didn't know what else to do, so I thought I could afford to have a 2 1/2 car garage with apartment above. My township wouldn't allow that. By this time I had given my contractor 50% of the cost of the second option. I still didn't have any building permit or go ahead to build. My contractor was kept abreast of every bit of knowledge I had as I received it. He pushed to have me go ahead with construction, but I told him to hold off until I found out what the penalties would be to go ahead. I could be fined $200 per day for not complying. He still told me to go ahead until I told him any contractor involved could also be fined that same $200 per day. Then he held off. He told me he'd give me my money back in April. Now he doesn't want to give me it back. Said he bought materials and I backed out.
I told him he shouldn't have ordered any materials until we had a go ahead. What can I do?

justalayman

I'm just guessing, but I bet a contractor that wants to build without permits also does not do business by contract.
Even if there is not a written contract, there was almost certainly an oral contract. Not that it would be enforceable or even able to be proven but that fact is; there was most likely a contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">