• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are the legal terms used for parties to a contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jacket_Service

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but if a contract is forged between two parties, what legal terms could be used to refer to the party who wrote the contract and the party who is signing/responding to the contract? It is not a loan contract so "creditor" and "debtor" wouldn't apply, though those are the terms I generally use in contracts.

Are there general terms such as "respondant" that would apply? I'm trying to determine what terms can be used in the contract to specify a particular party without having to refer to them by name.

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but a contract is forged between two parties, what legal terms could be used to refer to the party who wrote the contract and the party who is signing/responding to the contract? It is not a loan contract so "creditor" and "debtor" wouldn't apply, though those are the terms I generally use in contracts.

Are there general terms such as "respondant" that would apply? I'm trying to determine what terms can be used in the contract to specify a particular party without having to refer to them by name.

Thanks.
How about "Sally (hereafter referred to as Party 1) and Bob (hereafter referred to as Party 2)"?

justalayman

How about "Sally (hereafter referred to as Party 1) and Bob (hereafter referred to as Party 2)"?
But what if their names are Jim and Heather? It would be silly to call them Sally and Bob let alone all the confusion it might cause.

BL

But what if their names are Jim and Heather? It would be silly to call them Sally and Bob let alone all the confusion it might cause.
The the contract was allegedly forged by someone claiming to be ,Sally or Bob ,or Jim or Heather.

So one wouldn't actually be that one .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">