• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my legal options for returning a vehicle that I bought?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m411b

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I recently bought a vehicle from a used car lot and 66 days later I still have not received metal tags for the vehicle so it can be driven. I paid $10000 for this car and cannot drive it. What can I do to return the vehicle and get the loan nulled and voided?

Is this a breech of contract?

justalayman

have you bothered to call the seller?

based on only what you have provided, no, it is not a breach of contract and you would have no rights to rescind the sale.

m411b

Yes I have bothered to call the seller and all they keep saying is that they are having trouble registering the vehicle because I am a Soldier. They have been supposedly trying to register this vehicle for 66 days. It doesn't take 66 days to register a vehicle. What other information do you need? It is a quite clear question. :p

I have an unregistered vehicle that cost me around $10,000 and I cannot drive it because the seller has not registered it! What is not understood? :rolleyes:

I don't know anyone thats spent $10,000 on a paper weight! :D

m411b

Well, from what I am being told is that they buy the used cars from Enterprise car rentals after the cars get to a certain number of miles of use. So they have to get the titles from Enterprise and then they can do what they need to do to sell the vehicles.

The car lot has to register the pink title in the buyers name so the buyer can drive the vehicle and get new tags every year. This used car place has not done this yet and they have had 66 days to do so. They have issued me 2 30 day tags and now we are 6 almost 7 days past the last 30 day tag expiration date and still no metal plates for the vehicle. I cannot drive it legally and if I do and I get caught then I get in to a whole other legal world of BS!

So, what can I do? I bought the vehicle so I can drive it, not so it can sit in my driveway. I have registered 100's of vehicles and have never had these kinds of problems. I need this vehicle, badly.....

justalayman

Yes I have bothered to call the seller and all they keep saying is that they are having trouble registering the vehicle because I am a Soldier. They have been supposedly trying to register this vehicle for 66 days. It doesn't take 66 days to register a vehicle. What other information do you need? It is a quite clear question. :p

I have an unregistered vehicle that cost me around $10,000 and I cannot drive it because the seller has not registered it! What is not understood? :rolleyes:

I don't know anyone thats spent $10,000 on a paper weight! :D
well, so much for me giving you the solution. I'll let somebody else that understands the quite clear question a bit better.:rolleyes:

So they are suppose to register the car for you? In TN?
Did you pay them a fee for this? Did they charge you the Tax?
Do they have the valid Title?
Have you asked for your funds back? or a rental?
Do they have any answers for you? or just stall tactics?
:confused:

m411b

So they are suppose to register the car for you? In TN?
- Yes

Did you pay them a fee for this? Did they charge you the Tax?
- Yes $300

Do they have the valid Title?
- I dunno!

Have you asked for your funds back? or a rental?
Not yet, but if they do not call me by 0800 tomorrow I will.

Do they have any answers for you? or just stall tactics?
- Still stalling!

<-- Me too!

m411b

there is implied condition in sale that the buyer will be able to have quiet enjoyment of the thing purchased. However when the seller has not transferred you the metal tags then seller has breached this condition because you are unable to use the car. The restriction in enjoyment of car is because of seller's fault. Therefore you may inform seller of breach of contract and can inform him that if he cannot give metal tags then he should take back the car and give your money back. After this you may file a suit.

Correct or Incorrect?

Kiawah

Sounds like they are issuing interim 30 day tags so you can use and enjoy the vehicle, correct? It hasn't been sitting in the driveway for 66 days.

m411b

You are correct. However, in TN you can only use 2 30 day tags! So until they pull their heads out of their azzes the car will sit, not in use, and has for 7 days now!

justalayman

You are correct. However, in TN you can only use 2 30 day tags! So until they pull their heads out of their azzes the car will sit, not in use, and has for 7 days now!
and I still know what your claim would be and what you would have to do to remedy the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">