• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urgent: family business issue need help ASAP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xtomjames

Kansas

A very long story short; I've come down to Hutchinson Ks to help my grandmother with renovations in our family owned apartments. The previous year I had her buy out all of my stock because of FAFSA issues. We agreed via email I'd make 5$/hr rather than the usual 10$/hr credit given to tenants to cover rent and I'd earn the remainder. However, recently she refused to listen to me about the progress of the work (in this case putting in a patio and making sure the patio has proper grade for drainage on a commercial property) then she began to berate for contradicting her. She began to call me names, told me I was a child who should be seen and not heard etc. Then she failed to accept the itemized notice of total work completed and the amount of money she owed me already

(I already banked on you not keeping your promise of sending me to the UK, I also figured you weren't going to pay me for the work I've done. 79 hours in total you owe me for, +50$ first day interest starting today.

Itemized List: Website Update: 3 hrs+ 7 hrs of Houndig you to get the information, learning the new system and editing code, fixing a java runtime error on the site. (total 10 hours)
Cleaning Office computer (hardware and software) (total 1 hr)
Trouble shooting non-working HP All In One printer (total 7 hrs)
-finding cheap printer to replace it (1 hr)
Trouble Shooting home computer (8 hrs) ~ this includes installing wireless router one and two, advising and telling you which router to buy to replace the second one which wasn't working, fixing your computer's; driver errors, java errors, updates, and fixing Outlook express to properly connect to your emails.
Moving Bricks (9 hours+40$ for pallet jack)
Digging out patio section ( 7 hrs)
Moving gravel as base for patio (5 hrs)

Pre-Hutchinson: Research and Virtual construction of security system: (Total 30 hours) this includes; virtual construction of security computer with latest parts out of newegg.com, finding the most affordable but useful cameras and security systems for the apartments, researching major differences between wired and wireless cameras and which is recommended for this type of installation.

Research on cheaper alternative since the money was not allocated for the larger project, 1 hr

Total hours worked: 79
Total earnings: $435.00 )

She's claiming I only worked 12 hours, that I've been staying in the apartment for "free" and they (my grandmother and aunt) are now trying to evict me because I refuse to do anymore work until she has apologized to me for the cruel things she's said to me, my mother, and my cousin. She is refusing to pay me, my nearest family is over a hundred miles away. I don't own a car and they are refusing to take me back to my home town of Eau Claire Wisconsin.

What more, I've complained several times to her about discriminating against possible tenants because of race, appearance, and age.
For illegally charging 1 and a half times rent for the deposit and the last month's rent in advance. And for spreading libelous fallacious lies about me, both via email and to the tenants.

What do I do?

PS: Please note, I'm down here to save money to go to the UK where I'm supposed to be attending graduate school. My grandmother was supposed to purchase my ticket, but this isn't happening either.

Beth3

What do I do?

1. File a complaint with your State's Department of Labor for the wages owed to you for work performed or sue her for same in small claims court.

2. Look for another job. Working for your grandmother isn't working out too well.

3. See if another family member will drive you home to Eau Claire.

xtomjames

Thanks for the advice, but I've already tried to implement most of those suggestions.

None of my other family members are trying to help or aren't willing to. I can't find a job worth squat in Hutchinson, I had a job interview today but because of all the **** that is going down I don't feel comfortable leaving my apartment.

And I very much doubt that the State's Department of Labor, which is in my grandmother's back pocket like most of Hutchinson's officials and departments, will help me.

eerelations

Oh please, you can't possibly know whether the state DOL will help you or not until you ask them to. And if you really don't want to bother the state DOL, why not file a claim with the federal DOL? Or sue your grandmother in small claims court? What's your excuse for not doing either of these two things?

No one here can help you unless you're willing to help yourself.

Beth3

And I very much doubt that the State's Department of Labor, which is in my grandmother's back pocket like most of Hutchinson's officials and departments, will help me.

That's ridiculous. The State DOL is not in anyone's back pocket.

I had a job interview today but because of all the **** that is going down I don't feel comfortable leaving my apartment.

You blew off an interview because you wouldn't leave your apartment? I can't imagine how you expect to extricate yourself from your current predicament if you're not willing to even take the most perfunctory steps to help yourself.

xtomjames

One; The officials in the area are probably in her back pocket. She's known everywhere in Hutchinson Ks. What more the nearest DOL office is in Wichita (which I can't get to, I don't own a car) and I keep getting voice mails.

Two, I didn't go to the interview because I was threatened by my aunt and grandmother that they'd lock me out, leaving me with no place to sleep and without the assets of my belongings (clothing, computer, etc.)

As for getting in touch with the Federal DOL I've tried and keep being sent to voice mails. I'd love to do a small claims case, and while I even have the form sitting in front of me, it's going to cost $50 to file it, which I don't have. (There is a reason for why I was working for my grandmother.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, since you either can't or won't try any of the suggestions that have been offered to you, I'm afraid you're out of luck.No one has a magic wand, and cannot perform miracles.

Have a good day.

Beth3

Then I guess there are no solutions to your problems as you have an excuse for everything. You refuse to file a complaint with the local DOL office for your unpaid wages, you can't get to Wichita, you don't have $50 to file in small claims court, you won't leave your apartment to go to any job interviews, and you have no way to get home to Eau Claire.

You have two choices: (1) stay locked up in your apartment until your grandmother evicts you and you're out on the street, or (2) you can start doing SOMETHING to get yourself out of your current dilemma.

xtomjames

hmm

Well I didn't say I'd leave my apartment, it just so happened at that moment (during which I was scheduled for the job interview) Ali (my aunt) was there and was pushing to change the locks.

As it so happens this discussion is moot, my grandmother broken down is going to pay me the money she owes me and is sending me back to Eau Claire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">