• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outstanding Wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ph8675

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I recently was terminated by my employer, Ashley Furniture. I was a salaried Receiving Manager and was required to work 45 hours per week. I averaged 70 hours per week and was paid for 40 hours per week. I sent them a formal letter on June 14,2010, with copies of my time logged, requesting wages for the extra time and effort I put into the position. Do I have a right to recover wages for the extra time and if I do what would be the next step for me since they have not responded to my request?

Thank you

Paul

mlane58

Salaried is just a pay method. We need to know your job duties in order to determine if you are exempt or non-exempt.

ph8675

Managed and directed 5 to 8 employees, responsible for receiving and put away of furniture goods,hiring and termination, and scheduling.

eerelations

Extremely unlikely? I would say without a doubt that the OP is an exempt employee and is not entitled to overtime.
I would have said that too except that whenever I do, someone always pipes up and says "Oh how can you possibly say that without a DOL ruling, there's no way anyone can judge whether a job is exempt or non-exempt based solely on a job title and a few sentences, certainly it can't be determined on an internet forum blah blah blah..."

So I said "extremely unlikely" thinking it would forestall the above, and guess what? Someone still piped up with an objection! :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">