• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Mishandeling my Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmadison

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

So to briefly sum up what happened to me I was getting unemployment for sometime. I had a part time job and make well under the required amount of hours working to still get unemployment benefits. Suddenly they sent a claim form in the mail to...well...reclaim benefits. However i missed the phone interview. So the next day i went to an Edd office and instead of finding out that I had to not only send in another claim form but now they're saying because of my part time job...which they knew about and approved...that I must pay back 15 weeks of unemployment benefits they have received.

I'm confused because he said I may also get my benefits back...but i have to pay back as well?

I don't think what they're doing is fair or if it's even legal.

Can somebody please let me know what chance i have at appealing my case or better help me understand what They and I can and cannot do?

I'm stressed out and I dont know what to do.

cmadison

He told me to file a claim form and send it and I did. He also said that i would owe back 15 weeks worth of payment back to EDD because of my part time job. He said i could try appealing but it probably wouldn't go through. He said that I would be getting more claims in the mail soon to fill out and send back.

It almost seems like talking to them put me in a worse whole than if I just reapplied for the unemployment at home without their help.

commentator

Quick question here. While you were working part time, and you were receiving unemployment because you were filling out the claim forms, were you reporting that yes, you were working, and you made, during this week, XXX amount of money during this week? You said they knew about it. If so, and you were reporting the benefits, this is something they could easily correct. But even though you were only working that little bit, which you are sure is under the amount you could make and draw, if you put NO, that you were not working, and did not report these wages each week as they were made, what you did was fraud.

Since you were working for a covered employer, the wages cross matched, and they showed that you were working, and exactly what you were making, and your weekly claim certifications were checked, and zap, they got the impression somehow that you were filing and committing fraud by lying to the unemployment office during those weeks. Then you missed your hearing. That was cool. But try to get them to reschedule, go by what they tell you in the office. They will probably ask you to pay back the weeks, but you may still be able to file weekly benefits and get unemployment on going, and eventually pay off the overpayment. By the way, report the money as you are supposed to be doing.

If you go on and file some more weeks, fraudulently, without reporting your gross earnings from the job, you will just get more and more messed up. Re applying for the unemployment at home will NOT get you a new claim, it will just screw up the same old claim, you can only have one claim a year, that is the one you are talking about with the guy at the office.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

Appealing the case will take months. I live in the same state and am also on unemployment.

You're supposed to put the name of your employer on the claim form, along with how much you're making. That amount is deducted from the benefits you receive from EDD. Not reporting that income is committing fraud, which is punishable by law.

Incredibly dumb to miss a telephone interview because you were undoubtedly notified about it.

Reread your unemployment handbook. As for stress, it sounds deserved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">