• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reasonable grounds for search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cynder15

we live in louisiana. to be brief, my 12 year old son took a sketchpad belonging to my 17 year old son, without his knowledge, to his middle school to show a picture he, the 12 year old, had drawn to his teacher.my 17 year old, an artist, had sketched a satirical cartoon, among other drawings, in this pad back in 1999. the cartoon depicted himself and his friends on the campus of their high school, shooting each other up with paintball guns,a nuclear missile aimed at the school, and just basically making fun of their teachers & principal. the picture was funny. the middle school principal got ahold of the pad after the bus driver confiscated from my 12 year old. the middle school principal suspended my 12 year old. she then sent the pad over to my 17 year old son's high school across town. my son was in 1st hour class, doing what he was supposed to be doing. the principal came and got him out of class and told him to bring his booksack. my son never had the pad in his possession. he had drawn the pictures at home 2 years ago. the principal then had a search conducted on my son based solely on the sketchpad. he was expelled for terrorism, and possession of drawings depicting violence against the school. the search turned up a boxcutter,he works in a grocery store. so he was also charged with possession of a dangerous weapon. he was also arrested, and formally charged with 2 felony counts, terrorism of 1500 students and possession of a dangerous weapon at school. my question: was there reasonable cause to search my son? he did not bring the material to school, did not mail it to school, and did not show it to anyone at school. he was not creating any disturbance, or misbehaving in any way prior to being hauled out of his class. please, someone, tell me if this was done legally. thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">