• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Background Check Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bizman007

What is the name of your state (MI)?

Hey guys I'm looking for employment, but I really need advice from someone who actually knows the law and not someone with a biased personal opinion.

I've been getting a lot of conflicting viewpoint on this topic so Id appreciate some feedback.

I have charges pending for a misdemeanor of assault, which will be dropped from my record if I complete six months of classes. On job applications it usually says have you ever been convicted of a felony, or a misdemeanor. Usually I say no because technically I haven't been convicted.

I would like to keep this to myself if I can because it gives employers the wrong impression. Will pending charges show up on most employers background checks? Is it ok to just omit that information from job applications, or do most employees background checks include pending charges?

Also is this employer specific? I mean if it says have you been convicted, and not do you have pending charges is it ok to omitt this or is it better to be up front about it.

I have a recent interview where they asked me if I ever was convicted and I said no but in the interview I came clean and felt like it gave the wrong initial impression.

Help me please Im so frustrated about this. :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
All background checks are not created equal. What any given employer sees on a background check depends entirely on how deep and how thorough the employer checks. No one here can say how through "most" employers in your unknown region and industry will check or how they will react to what information.

I understand that you want someone to give you a definite yes or no but the fact is that there IS no definite yes or no answer to your question.

st-kitts

There are many vendors that offer background checks, but the formats are actually very similar.

If you are arrested, you should anticipate that the charge will show unless you have it expunged. The typical format will show the charge, arrest/charge date, case disposition (guilty, not guilty, nolle prosse, or nolo contendere), sentence if applicable, and disposition date.

Keep in mind that many employers will disqualify a candidate for falsification of application automatically, even if the candidate would have met hiring standards with a truthful response.

Last edited:

Betty

"Generally" pending charges will show up on a background check. However, no one here can say what will show up on any specific background check done by any individual employer. As cbg said, all background checks are not created equal.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to be clear, the issue is not the format the material comes in; the issue is what the employer asks for.

I do not do RMV checks on data entry clerks; I do on truck drivers.

I don't do criminal background checks on a receptionist who will not be handling any money; I do on a bookkeeper.

I don't do education checks on the janitor; I do on the head of Research and Development.

See what I'm getting at?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">