• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPPA violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Answer22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I am an employee of the healthcare system. I viewed a document that came by fax with no cover letter on a past patient of ours. At the time that I viewed it the patient was not seen in our office for a few months. About two weeks later I was pulled into a meeting stating I violated HIPPA by viewing this patients chart- given three days suspension- by which they will decide when its convinent for them to let me have and a note was placed on my record. I then found out after the fact that the patient was a past employee of ours which I never knew. There are 6 other employees involved. My chart was also viewed by employees as well.

Proserpina

I'm not being deliberately obnoxious but wouldn't a healthcare worker know that it's actually HIPAA, and not HIPPA?

proud_parent

I'm not being deliberately obnoxious but wouldn't a healthcare worker know that it's actually HIPAA, and not HIPPA?
Not in my experience. I cannot begin to count how many times I saw this acronym misspelled (by those who ought to have known better) during my tenure at a medical center.

I've probably slipped up in typing it myself at least once.

Proserpina

Not in my experience. I cannot begin to count how many times I saw this acronym misspelled (by those who ought to have known better) during my tenure at a medical center.

I've probably slipped up in typing it myself at least once.

And there I was in the middle of the Fen-Phen debacle, when HIPAA first hit us pharm data analysts, assuming that because WE had to learn the dratted acronym under penalty of Very Bad Things so would everyone else in the pharm/healthcare world....

My bad :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">