• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Counsel for Relative Stealing Money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eremis77

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello. I'm hoping to figure out what type of legal action can be taken for a friend of mine, in two separate but related instances.

A close friend of mine had a large sum of money (several hundred thousand dollars) that he received years ago from the estate of a dead relative. For some reason his brother was put in charge of his finances (possibly due to disability). Whatever reasons were given for this in the past, they are probably not relevant any more, and my friend would like his brother (who has stolen and/or mismanaged his money, and CHARGED him any time he needed assistance - with his own funds) to be removed from this responsibility. How would he go about doing this?

Another friend's sister asked for help in paying off a debt that she had incurred, and ended up convincing him to give her his account info. After that, either she or the debtor cleaned out the entire account, over four times the amount he said she could have. What recourse does he have in this case? Would that be a purely criminal case?

Thank you for any assistance.

Dandy Don

In the first instance, you don't know whether the brother had legally obtained a power of attorney giving him permission to handle the finances (which he then seems to have abused the privilege, and abuse of POA is a crime) or whether he actually acquired a legal guardianship from a family law court.

A business law attorney can help him get these issues resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">