• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Property in Deceased's Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

js1864

Pennsylvania - My Mother died in January, brother is executor and a lawyer, somewhat dysfunctional. I asked if I could retrieve my lawn mower from my mother's garage that I lent to her. He is refusing to since "by law" he is not allowed to let anything leave the property (although he has let another sibling retrieve their loaned TV). He says he needs to wait until all siblings meet and agree to who takes what. Is he able to prevent me from taking my property back? He said it belongs to the estate at the time of her death. Any advice is appreciated. ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

This had better be a John Deere mower

Pennsylvania - My Mother died in January, brother is executor and a lawyer, somewhat dysfunctional. I asked if I could retrieve my lawn mower from my mother's garage that I lent to her. He is refusing to since "by law" he is not allowed to let anything leave the property (although he has let another sibling retrieve their loaned TV). He says he needs to wait until all siblings meet and agree to who takes what. Is he able to prevent me from taking my property back? He said it belongs to the estate at the time of her death. Any advice is appreciated. ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

How much is this mower worth?

js1864

No John Deere

John Deere, ha, no it's a push mower, about 7 years old, maybe worth $100 - $150. I'm sure all the siblings have no problem with me retrieving it, except for him.

justalayman

It does not become part of the estate and if it is known to be yours, there should be no problem with you retrieving it but you would be hard pressed to force the issue. You can dispute the issue in court but what will happen is you will end up costing the estate more than the mower is worth. I would suggest getting the family together and having a simple talk about the mower. It isn't worth enough to make that much of an issue about from either side.

js1864

Thanks

Thanks, that's what I pretty much thought, but brother/executor is so dysfunctional he is willing to make a stink about it. Might just go take it and see what he says/does.

js1864

Theft of own property

Yeah, I'd make sure I had proof of ownership, and see what an ass he makes of himself calling the cops for a $75 lawn mower that doesn't belong to the estate. Almost itching to do it. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">