• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grassroots Campaign Firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jayufa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA
My housemate is currently working for a grassroots campaign, environment California. She just started, and has been working 8 hour days for this entire week. She informs me their policy is that if an employee does not make a specific monetary collection quota within their first week, that they are let go unpaid, and that they sign a contract to this effect. Aside from smelling of terrible business practices from miles away, what is the legal status of such an action? Can a business really make it their policy to employ a worker for 40 hours and let them go without pay if they do not meet a quota?

xylene

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA
My housemate is currently working for a grassroots campaign, environment California. She just started, and has been working 8 hour days for this entire week. She informs me their policy is that if an employee does not make a specific monetary collection quota within their first week, that they are let go unpaid, and that they sign a contract to this effect. Aside from smelling of terrible business practices from miles away, what is the legal status of such an action? Can a business really make it their policy to employ a worker for 40 hours and let them go without pay if they do not meet a quota?
From knowledge, I strongly suspect that your friend will not be paid commissions on weekly collections that are below quota.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">