• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed drug test, no job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AndrewD18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Applied with Home Depot. Had an interview then after that I took the drug test, both occurred on the same day. When I talked with the Medical Review Officer (MRO), he said I tested positive for Morphine. He went over, with me, what could cause such a result. I couldn't think of what would cause such a result. About 30 minutes after talking with the MRO, I remembered I had eaten some lemon poppy seed muffins. So I called the MRO back. I left him a message that I needed to talk with him. He calls me back about 2 hours later. I tell him I ate poppy seed muffins, he said he would try to send an email to Home Depot to try to amend the results.
Well I didn't get hired. I've tried, twice, through Home Depot, to get a copy of my drug test results, with no luck. I also asked to have the sample retested, Home Depot has refused.
I've looked into the Florida statutes concerning the Drug Free Workplace Act and believe that I have a right, not only for a copy of my test results, but also a confirmation test of the my sample.

What do you think?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Applied with Home Depot. Had an interview then after that I took the drug test, both occurred on the same day. When I talked with the Medical Review Officer (MRO), he said I tested positive for Morphine. He went over, with me, what could cause such a result. I couldn't think of what would cause such a result. About 30 minutes after talking with the MRO, I remembered I had eaten some lemon poppy seed muffins. So I called the MRO back. I left him a message that I needed to talk with him. He calls me back about 2 hours later. I tell him I ate poppy seed muffins, he said he would try to send an email to Home Depot to try to amend the results.
Well I didn't get hired. I've tried, twice, through Home Depot, to get a copy of my drug test results, with no luck. I also asked to have the sample retested, Home Depot has refused.
I've looked into the Florida statutes concerning the Drug Free Workplace Act and believe that I have a right, not only for a copy of my test results, but also a confirmation test of the my sample.

What do you think?

How many muffins did you eat?

Over what time period?

How long between ingestion and testing?

Bear in mind that the potential employer is under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to hire you - regardless.

Period.

st-kitts

Are you interested in seeing the test results or are you trying to get hired by the Home Depot?

While you may have tested positive from that poppyseed muffin, it certainly didn't work to your credibility that you remembered it after the fact. You might be able to get the test results if you try the right channels (did you save your chain of custody paperwork?), but I would speculate that nothing you could do with those results is going to ultimately change the hiring decision. You tested positive which means you ultimately failed the drug test. Home Depot has drug free workforce plastered all over their recruitment materials.

What you might take away to your next interview is:
Don't eat poppyseed muffins when you may be taking a drug test...
Don't use illegal drugs or abuse prescription drugs when you may be taking a drug test...

Last edited:

AndrewD18

Test results

Yes I would like a copy of my test results. I want to make sure they actually belong to me. Also, according to those statutes they cannot refuse to hire on the sole basis of positive test result without a review by a MRO AND a confirmation test.

To elaborate about my drug test results, the drug test company had trouble finding my test results. Obviously, they eventually did find it. It is because of the trouble they had finding my test, that I want to make sure the results Home Depot got are actually mine and not a mix up.

Yes I do have my "Chain of Custody" form from the drug testing company.

Antigone*

Yes I would like a copy of my test results. I want to make sure they actually belong to me. Also, according to those statutes they cannot refuse to hire on the sole basis of positive test result without a review by a MRO AND a confirmation test.

To elaborate about my drug test results, the drug test company had trouble finding my test results. Obviously, they eventually did find it. It is because of the trouble they had finding my test, that I want to make sure the results Home Depot got are actually mine and not a mix up.

Yes I do have my "Chain of Custody" form from the drug testing company.
I can't tell you now many times Home Depot and other corporations have heard that line of malarky you just spewed.

And to quote a very respected friend, they can decide to not hire you, or fire you just because you are wearing green shoes. :cool:

Proserpina

I can't tell you now many times Home Depot and other corporations have heard that line of malarky you just spewed.

And to quote a very respected friend, they can decide to not hire you, or fire you just because you are wearing green shoes. :cool:

*Hides her Tevas*

OT: you know my background is IIIb/IV clinical trials, right? I'd love to see a clinical trial calculating just how many potential employees use the "poppy seed" excuse when their pre-employment drug test comes up positive...

...compared to the actual reality ;)

Proserpina

4 Lemon poppy seed muffins.

4 hours between ingestion and testing.

Andrew, come on.

I wouldn't buy that. Your parents wouldn't buy that. And Home Despot certainly won't buy that.

You obviously have some smarts - so you obviously know that IF (and that's a big IF, let's face it) you'd ingested that number of poppy seed <insert food item here) in that amount of time knowing you were about to take a pre-employment drug test you should mention it beforehand.

Sorry. It's not going to wash.

AndrewD18

Drug test

Believe as you wish, but I would rather have the results in my hands to see for myself, before I believe what someone tells me. And, yes, I know I have no other choice but to accept the fact that the results of the drug test cost me getting a job.

Proserpina

Believe as you wish, but I would rather have the results in my hands to see for myself, before I believe what someone tells me. And, yes, I know I have no other choice but to accept the fact that the results of the drug test cost me getting a job.

Then...what exactly do you expect from the forum? :confused::confused:

WE certainly don't have the results in front of us....

..and some of us know how drug screening works.

AndrewD18

Drug test

Actually I had no idea I was going to taking a drug test on the same day as my interview. Home depot normally has 2 interviews, at least for the position I was applying for, before they make you an offer for employment. They skipped the second interview and made an offer after the first interview. So, if I truly believed I was going to have a drug test on the same day as the interview, I, of course, wouldn't have eaten the muffins.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">