• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyright issues and fiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ryffranck

Florida:

If I know of a successful series of children's books in which a child detective solves mysteries by having an incredible body of knowledge of trivia, and runs a detective agency, and I write new stories using a different character (different period in history, different gender, different town, etc.) but using similar length, tone, complexity of language, in which another child who runs a detective agency solves mysteries by having an incredible knowledge of trivia-is that copyright infringment? What's the litmus test? Does it matter if there is a similarity in name (e.g., the original character was called 'the Brain' and the new character is called 'the Computer')?

L

lawrat

what you have sounds like substantial similarity -- the litmus test you speak of. just because you change names and places doesn't excuse you from potential infringement.

If the tone and language is similar, you are facing a big lawsuit.

R

Ryffranck

further details

Does it matter if the stories are significantly different-different crimes, different movement through the fictional world, different characters-but the tone and length and style are similar?

I think these are truly original stories-I'm just worried that the central character may be too similar to be safe - and I desperately want to resolve this question in my mind before I spend a chunk of my life trying to write these stories.

Can you offer any detailed text I could consult on these issues, pertinent to fiction and the copyright issues I raised?

[Edited by Ryffranck on 04-17-2001 at 05:27 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">