• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living in Contractor Hell

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sibille

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

In late June my husband and I entered a verbal agreement with a handyman contractor to remodel our kitchen. The contractor is a team of 2 people and the one who came to our house looked at the project scope list, gave us a price and told us they would take no more than 4-5 days to complete the labor. My husband and I bought all of the materials needed. It has now been 2.5 weeks and my house is still a mess, the kitchen is not completed, the cabinets we purchased completely assembled were partially taken apart, the backsplash tile looks like it was hung by a 4 year old and one of the contractors has dissapeared completely, after I paid him $500.00 for a partially completed job. The other one will only show up if threatened. I am at my wits end. They have brought their child to work as well as other members of their family to enjoy my lawnchairs and TV. What can I do, legally?

Hole9yard

are these contractors license by your state
if you are buying the material for the job sounds to me you found a cheap price with these guys and you might get what you paid for

pscak1

As a licensed contractor who has entered into dozens of verbal agreements, I can say that was your mistake. It makes me sad to hear these stories, and I hear them all the time. I have finished dozens of these projects, and most of them have a couple of common denominators.
1. Unlicensed
2. Lowest price
3. No contract
I have personally lost tens of thousands of dollars because of not having a contract. Bottom line is 2 people can hear the same verbal story, and remember it 2 different ways. (Chinese telephone was not just for our entertainment as children) I figured this out when I was about 32 years old!
There you go: Contract, Licensed/bonded/insured, ask for references and to see recent work. If they stall at any of these, move on!!! There are good contractors out there. After that, pay the money when the job is done and enjoy your finished project.
Better luck next time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">