• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealer made mistake on Vehicle Purchase Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leolivan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I signed Vehicle Purchase Order for Jeep Compass Latitude which should be delivered in a few days (my dealer has to pick it up 150 miles away frm another dealer) BUT they made mistake, instead of car I wanted they put down on VPO (the only legal document I have for that transaction) Jeep Liberty new 2010 (about $4,000.00 more base model then the one i am buying) I would let it all go but I felt like I was stiffed on $750 Cash Allowance I got from Jeep mailed to me (dealer included $759 taxes/fees in the sale price, which originally my sales person said are included in the sale price)

Should I play on that mistake to ask reduction of final sale price (or ask for even more) or i do not have any legal right to do so?

swalsh411

The dealer is not obligated to let you have the Liberty for the price of the Compass. If you want the Liberty, you can certainly ask for a deal, but you have no grounds to make any demands.

And I've never heard of taxes and dealer fees being included in the price on the sticker. (assuming you even heard him correctly)

The dealer made a mistake. You didn't.
Read the contract regarding delayts.
Show up on time to pick up your new car....

cyjeff

By definition, taxes and fees CANNOT be part of the purchase price as they are calculated as a ratio against that purchase price.

swalsh411

If you new Compass isn't due to be delivered for a few days still then the dealership hasn't made a mistake which affects you yet. They will probably just send somebody to get the correct car. You haven't won the free car upgrade lottery. How do you even know for sure they got the wrong vehicle?

FlyingRon

By definition, taxes and fees CANNOT be part of the purchase price as they are calculated as a ratio against that purchase price.
Not true. I can tell you I've had dealers offer to price it out so I could be out the door for a certain $ figure. They back room is quite adept and figuring out how to reduce the car price so that the taxes, registration, and all their made up junk charges adds up right.

Leolivan

Not true. I can tell you I've had dealers offer to price it out so I could be out the door for a certain $ figure. They back room is quite adept and figuring out how to reduce the car price so that the taxes, registration, and all their made up junk charges adds up right.
That is the impression I got when during price negotiation he said all included in the final sale price. What could he meant other then that by saying that all was included?

swalsh411

That is the impression I got when during price negotiation he said all included in the final sale price. What could he meant other then that by saying that all was included?
Then I guess he lied to you. But you can't prove it and there was nothing stopping you from walking out of there or not signing anything once you realized it was not included in the price. It's entirely irrelevant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Then I guess he lied to you. But you can't prove it and there was nothing stopping you from walking out of there or not signing anything once you realized it was not included in the price. It's entirely irrelevant.
It is entirely possible for a dealer to quote a pretty-darn-near accurate "out the door" amount...it's really not rocket science.

Leolivan

I didn't realize that until I got home, but I signed and dealer signed too on agreed amount, but he also put Liberty in a contract. So now when I go back to pick up my car tomorrow, I guess, we would have to resign a contract because numbers are for Compass, so I think I should be able to renegotiate the sale price.

Leolivan

If you new Compass isn't due to be delivered for a few days still then the dealership hasn't made a mistake which affects you yet. They will probably just send somebody to get the correct car. You haven't won the free car upgrade lottery. How do you even know for sure they got the wrong vehicle?
I do NOT want Liberty at all, the millage is pretty bad on it, all i want is $750 i thought dealer agreed to pay on fees and taxes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">