• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pink Slip question on a boat not in my name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dadbythebooks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello. A friend gave me a boat and trailer. I am going to sell the boat now, but my friend never signed over the pink slip to me. I have the pink slip in my possession, but it's not signed over to me. Also it hasn't been registered in about years. DMV told me an estimate of 80 dollars to get it all squared away.

My question is, can I sell this boat and give the pink slip to the new owner without it signed to me, or do I have to get a hold of my friend to sign it, then the new owner? Is there a way around this?? Thanks.

FlyingRon

If the ownership was never signed over on the title, then you DON'T own it. You may have possession of it, but your friend is still the owner. You'll have to get him to sign it over before anything else can happen.

Don't know the law in California, but in many states the trailer has a separate title (though not in Texas for instance)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello. A friend gave me a boat and trailer. I am going to sell the boat now, but my friend never signed over the pink slip to me. I have the pink slip in my possession, but it's not signed over to me. Also it hasn't been registered in about years. DMV told me an estimate of 80 dollars to get it all squared away.

My question is, can I sell this boat and give the pink slip to the new owner without it signed to me, or do I have to get a hold of my friend to sign it, then the new owner? Is there a way around this?? Thanks.
You must register them in your name before you can transfer it. I am not going to help you commit fraud.

dadbythebooks

Can I have my friend sign it and then have the new owner sign it and bypass myself altogether? and if so, can they sign it at different times, or does everyone have to be present at the time of signing??

I'm not trying to commit a crime. I've never done this before, which is precisely the reason I'm asking first.

FlyingRon

Evidentally title jumping for boats is legal in California. You need to get your friend to sign the title and give a bill of sale to the new guy.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boattransfer.htm

Don't forget to have your friend sign also submit the release of liability form mentioned on that page.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">