• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sign Release of Interest in Property BEFORE Receipt of Funds?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdmersom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

Hello everybody, and thank you for helping me. This situation involves the settlement of my father's estate, who passed in California. After some very lengthy and difficult negotiations with my sister, also in California, (we are the only benefactors), she has agreed to buy out my portion of the interest in his home, which has not yet been sold.

We had finally reached an agreement and she went to her investment company to make the arrangements for the wire, but then decided she wants me to sign a release of interest in the property FIRST. She has been very dishonest through this whole ordeal, and I just do not trust her. She has already made several other arbitrary changes after we had agreed on things. I am afraid if I sign the release, she will have no reason to wire the money and I will be left with nothing.

Most of the pre-printed releases of interest I found were worded to indicate the funds had been received, therefore the release was being signed. This and common sense makes me think the funds should be received before I sign the release.

Can she really demand this? Should I sign first? How do I convince her? Any suggestions for a different solution?

In case you need to know, my sister is not executress, she just thinks she is. My father did not name one.

Please help! I really don't know what to do. Thank you so much!!!!

Dandy Don

You need to have an attorney look over ANYTHING that you are thinking about signing, to make sure you are not losing any rights or are being disadvantaged/cheated. I would be talking to a real estate attorney if I were you.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OR

Hello everybody, and thank you for helping me. This situation involves the settlement of my father's estate, who passed in California. After some very lengthy and difficult negotiations with my sister, also in California, (we are the only benefactors), she has agreed to buy out my portion of the interest in his home, which has not yet been sold.

We had finally reached an agreement and she went to her investment company to make the arrangements for the wire, but then decided she wants me to sign a release of interest in the property FIRST. She has been very dishonest through this whole ordeal, and I just do not trust her. She has already made several other arbitrary changes after we had agreed on things. I am afraid if I sign the release, she will have no reason to wire the money and I will be left with nothing.

Most of the pre-printed releases of interest I found were worded to indicate the funds had been received, therefore the release was being signed. This and common sense makes me think the funds should be received before I sign the release.

Can she really demand this? Should I sign first? How do I convince her? Any suggestions for a different solution?

In case you need to know, my sister is not executress, she just thinks she is. My father did not name one.

Please help! I really don't know what to do. Thank you so much!!!!
One word: escrow

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">