• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Failed ring clasp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debbie0618

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I had hinged clasp put on my engagement ring and wedding band by a local reputable jeweler. It was one clasp that joined them together making it like one ring. One week to the day, it came open by itself and I lost it (both rings). The company the jeweler got the clasp from warrants the clasp for 5 years to be free from defects or failure in performance. I did not have time to put a separate rider for the ring on my homeowners, it had only been one week!

So far I have contacted the local police where I lost the ring and I contacted the jeweler who did the work. He said he has never heard of that happening before and he would contact the company (Superfit) who makes the hinge on Monday when they open again. My question is who is responsible for this, anyone??? Or am I just out of luck? What recourse do I have if no one claims responsibility?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maybe I'm not picturing this correctly...but this "clasp" basically locks the two rings together to make them as one, right?
So, how did the failure of the clasp make you lose the rings? I mean, whether they are joined or not, they would still stay on your finger, unless they were improperly fitted...

justalayman

Maybe I'm not picturing this correctly...but this "clasp" basically locks the two rings together to make them as one, right?
So, how did the failure of the clasp make you lose the rings? I mean, whether they are joined or not, they would still stay on your finger, unless they were improperly fitted...
a hinge added as well. I'm not familiar with the setup but it sounds like they hinged the ring (and clasp) so you do not slide the ring onto your finger, you close it onto your finger sort of like handcuffs for your finger.

after all, it is a wedding ring. Wouldn't that be appropriate?:p

debbie0618

The clasp I am referring to is what they call an arthritic clasp that is used for people who have a large knuckle and skinny at he base of your finger. They cut the original shank off of the ring and put on a new shank that has a hinge that opens up with the use of a ballpoint pen like device. In this case they used one extra wide hinged shank and joined the 2 rings together. When the hinge failed and opened on it's own, I lost both rings.

justalayman

My question is who is responsible for this, anyone??? Or am I just out of luck? What recourse do I have if no one claims responsibility
is there any written warranty? Does it exclude the value of a lost ring? If so, you are pretty much out of gas.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Without the rings, how do you plan to prove the clasp "failed" and that you didn't just fail to close it properly?

debbie0618

Yeah well I'm sure that will be there answer also. So, I'm probably just screwed. The police said they will check with local pawn shops so maybe there is still hope...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">