• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long should it take?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kurosity

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm in Illinois.
In April my fiance died, his will was read and he left me a gift of cash.
His will was read in North Carolina and I have not heard anything at all since being advised that I was left something. How long does it take for the attourny to contact the heirs? Is there a limit by law for how long this can drag out? I understand that the family has been under some strain, however other heirs have already recieved their gifts.

Do I need to contact the court myself? How do I go about that? I have no way of contacting the family as I have only comminicated with them via e-mail and that account has since been closed.

Dandy Don

Contact the county courthouse probate court (for the city where he lived/died) and ask whether anyone has opened up probate for this estate. The executor is supposed to pay you if the will left you a bequest and if there was enough in assets to pay you, but only if probate was officially opened up. If no one has opened up probate you may want to consult an attorney or at least ask the other heirs who paid them. Looks like someone is trying to cheat you out of your money. They may be deliberately deciding to withhold the will from probate court. If your attorney advises you to do so, you can force probate open by asking probate to be opened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">