• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legally Junk the car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OhiZona

Arizona. Car registered in Ohio.

My dad lived in Ohio and passed away 15 months ago and we decided not to open probate. His only asset was a new vehicle that was paid off after his death by GAP ins.
My sister and I were named co-executors(we live in Arizona). The registration on the vehicle is up and it is uninsured. It's sitting around taking up space and now the idea has come up to junk the vehicle. Can this be done without opening probate?

Kiawah

You're going to junk, a 2 year old vehicle?

The book value isn't enough to warrant opening probate, selling the vehicle to CarMax (or whomever), and distributing the cash?

Every car I've sold, donated to charity, or junked if condition bad enough, I've needed to give the title.

Last edited:

anteater

Have you considered using the small estate provisions of Ohio 2113.03 to have the estate released from administration? Estates with a value of $35,000 or less are eligible.

Seems like the value of a paid off two-year old car would justify the expense of doing so.

tranquility

If there are no unpaid claims against the estate, you may be able to submit an affidavit to the DMV to transfer title without probate being involved at all.

OhiZona

Thanks for the fast replies. We're going to look into the release of Administration since the vehicle is worth less than 30K.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">