• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help With Any Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fairywingz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Maine First Off. This is my situation. My Father Died it will be 2 years ago July 29th. He had a will which he left his girlfriend pretty much everything except our family home, which she is the non-life estate meaning she could rent it to get money, but she stopped doing that and let the house run down, did not maintain it, got a lien on it for not paying taxes ect. My brother and I went to a lawyer because we heard she was going to try to sell the home, but we are the Gtees of the home, so the Lawyer was a very reputable Lawyer here in Maine, he told us to go lock the doors up, maintain it and rent it if we needed to because it needed to be heated for the winter. Well we did that with no problem from her because she did not want it anyway. I was paying insurnace on it until they told me if it did ever burn I would not get the money she would because she is the PR. Well I was not letting that happen. I want to petition the court to have her removed but I cant afford 5,000 dollars that the lawyer quoted me to do this, I would like to represent myself, I have all the forms will just need help filling them out because they have a space where it says attorneys signature, the bar number ect. My question is, How can I do this on my own? And also the deed to my fathers home is still in his name, when will it be in my brothers and I's name or how do you do this, its a big mess and I could write more but it would take forever. Please someone give me some advice, I dont know what to do anymore, this house is rotting away.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

I would like to represent myself, I have all the forms...
What is it that you are trying to do?

Not trying to be mean, but this is one of those "If you have to ask on an internet forum, then you really need an attorney" things. Apparently probate was never completed (if it was ever opened). Was the girlfriend appointed by the court to administer the estate?

So, you are faced with an incomplete probate, plus arguing that the girlfriend abandoned the life estate/allowed property to waste.

You could try the personnel at the court. Sometimes they will provide information on process questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">