• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

speeding tickets license suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moffatt36

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

I have 3 speeding tickets in about a three year time span. Ive never had the money to pay in full. but on the first ticket i got i was doing a payment plan but now i cant anymore because i lost my job. My total amount comes to about $800 maybe more for all three. My license was due for renewal but they said i had to pay the tickets in full. I cant, but I need my license. is there anything i can do? get the fines lowered? by the way all three tickets were a FTA's. I didnt know i HAD to appear I thought I just pay the fine :/ am I outta luck?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

I have 3 speeding tickets in about a three year time span. Ive never had the money to pay in full. but on the first ticket i got i was doing a payment plan but now i cant anymore because i lost my job. My total amount comes to about $800 maybe more for all three. My license was due for renewal but they said i had to pay the tickets in full. I cant, but I need my license. is there anything i can do? get the fines lowered? by the way all three tickets were a FTA's. I didnt know i HAD to appear I thought I just pay the fine :/ am I outta luck?
I would get a copy of the bus schedule.

For the average person, not a lot is likely to be done.

$800 for 3 tickets is real low. Usually they add a $300 civil assessment each. Are you sure your numbers are correct?

Maybe not all your tickets are in collections yet. Make sure you know the individual status of each ticket. If they arent in collections yet, you need to work like heck to keep them from going there.

In some courts you can apply in writing to have the civil assessment lifted (by law you have 10 days after it is imposed) or your sentence modified. Most courts probably wouldnt even allow you to speak to a judge on a FTP though, at least without a proper filed motion.. a motion that probably wouldnt do anything but get you told to your face: denied.

If you have been to prison or are a druggie or something like that, courts might work with you and your license through your drug court/prop 36/probation or 41500, but other wise the system is set up to where you are pretty much stuck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">