• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they take her baby?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terrified41

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My husband's oldest daughter is pregnant and is due is October. At every prenatal appointment, her doctor does blood work. My husband was told this evening, by a trusted family member, that his daughters last four blood tests have come back positive for marijuana.

Question 1 - When did they start testing mothers for drug use during pregnancy?

Question 2 - Will they test the baby when it is born?

Question 3 - What will happen if they do test the baby, and the baby is positive for marijuana?

My husband is furious with his daughter for smoking marijuana while she is pregnant. I know he wants to confront her about it this weekend when he sees her. He just wants information so he can lay it on the line for her and tell her what is possible if she doesn't stop smoking this stuff.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My husband's oldest daughter is pregnant and is due is October. At every prenatal appointment, her doctor does blood work. My husband was told this evening, by a trusted family member, that his daughters last four blood tests have come back positive for marijuana.

Question 1 - When did they start testing mothers for drug use during pregnancy?

Why is that even relevant? :confused:

Question 2 - Will they test the baby when it is born?

In all likelihood, yeap.

Question 3 - What will happen if they do test the baby, and the baby is positive for marijuana?

It depends. Nobody can really predict. Pot is often considered a non-issue as far as the parents are concerned, but if a baby is born with drugs in the system that tends to be seen as a different matter entirely.

My husband is furious with his daughter for smoking marijuana while she is pregnant. I know he wants to confront her about it this weekend when he sees her. He just wants information so he can lay it on the line for her and tell her what is possible if she doesn't stop smoking this stuff.

He can tell her:

You can lose your child. If you test positive for any illegal drugs, the State can make a case for removing the child from your custody whether you like it or not.

GET CLEAN and QUIT SMOKING.

Terrified41

Why is that even relevant? :confused:

Not relevant, I guess. I was just curious. I've had 4 kids and to my knowledge I have never been tested for drugs during my pregnancies. I didn't even know they did it these days, until my daughter mentioned that her neighbors baby had tested positive for drugs right after it was born and CPS got involved.

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">