• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taping the Police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You Are Guilty

I know this has come up recently, but after wasting 10 minutes looking through old threads, I cannot find the post. But this recent article has some more information for people concerned about audio or video taping their police encounters:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheLaw/videotaping-cops-arrest/story?id=11179076

dlw99

I record the cops every time they drive by my house. They are on a public road where there is no expectation of privacy, and my property is clearly marked that I have video AND audio recording 24/7.

The teenage son of a friend of mine was pulled over last week for failing to yield in a rotary. His girlfriend was video recording the cop, hiding the camera behind her purse.

The cop let the boy go and took the girl to jail for illegally recording him.

In most states, you can record cops in situations where there is no expectation of privacy.

If the cops are in a public place or road kicking the **** out of some defenseless guy, shoot til you run out of film.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
http://www.cracked.com/article_18620_6-completely-legal-ways-cops-can-screw-you_p2.html

Read #3.
I watched the video of the motorcyclist that says a gun was pulled on him. Pfftt. The gun was drawn, but NEVER aimed at the motorcyclist. And, based on the serious gross negligence and danger to those around him that the motorcyclist presented, I feel the officer's conduct was ENTIRELY appropriate.

CdwJava

I watched the video of the motorcyclist that says a gun was pulled on him. Pfftt. The gun was drawn, but NEVER aimed at the motorcyclist. And, based on the serious gross negligence and danger to those around him that the motorcyclist presented, I feel the officer's conduct was ENTIRELY appropriate.
If that is the same video I saw, I did not see the officer really acting out of line, either. Given the circumstances of being off duty and without a radio and safety equipment, having a gun at the ready was not inappropriate while awaiting reinforcements. I think the tape proves the speeding and possibly reckless driving more than it shows officer malfeasance ... Though I am surprised that taping an officer or anyone in a public place like this might be a crime.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18620_6-completely-legal-ways-cops-can-screw-you_p2.html

Read #3.
Very Interesting. In Illinois, Massachusetts and Maryland it would have been illegal to video tape cops throwing a black man down and shooting him in the back on accident.

Luckily, that is still legal in CA.

Zigner

Very Interesting, in Illinois, Massachusetts and Maryland it would have been illegal to video tape cops throwing a black man down and shooting him in the back on accident.

Luckily, that is still legal in CA.
Which act are you referring to? Taping or shooting?

justalayman

the problem I had was he did not ID himself immediately. I saw no flashing lights and the guy had no visible ID on him so what it was at first was some civilian pulling a gun on the biker.

Even after he claimed to be state PD, he still did not present any sort of ID.

the cop is kind of lucky. I know bikers that would have run him over as soon as the saw the gun, (based on the lack of ID) You never know when a crazy civilian wants to play vigilante

and no, I am not defending the biker. He was an ass for doing what he did where he did.

Zigner

the problem I had was he did not ID himself immediately. I saw no flashing lights and the guy had no visible ID on him so what it was at first was some civilian pulling a gun on the biker.

Even after he claimed to be state PD, he still did not present any sort of ID.

the cop is kind of lucky. I know bikers that would have run him over as soon as the saw the gun, (based on the lack of ID) You never know when a crazy civilian wants to play vigilante

and no, I am not defending the biker. He was an ass for doing what he did where he did.
You didn't notice the patrol car directly BEHIND the motorcycle?
Furthermore, the officer DID identify himself concurrently with unholstering his firearm. And, his other hand was busy making sure the bike was steady and not about to take off...now, once they've perfected the 3-armed cop, you would have a point. ;)

Mr.X

I have been carrying a voice recorder in my car since 2006, when I had a series of unfortunate "pull overs" which could have been cleared if only I had recording of the cops. I have yet to use it, but my plan is that if I see flashing lights, the record button is then depressed.

justalayman

You didn't notice the patrol car directly BEHIND the motorcycle?
Furthermore, the officer DID identify himself concurrently with unholstering his firearm. And, his other hand was busy making sure the bike was steady and not about to take off...now, once they've perfected the 3-armed cop, you would have a point. ;)
patrol car behind the guy? All I saw was the car that pulled around the cop. From what I could tell, that was the car in the shot where the biker looked behind him.

and the cop pulled his gun at 3:16, took 3 or 4 steps towards the biker, ordered the guy to get off the motorcycle three times as he walked and then ID's himself, verbally, as state police at 3:20.

No, the cop did not ID himself concurrently with unholstering his firearm. There was a full 4 seconds between the time if pulling his gun and identifying himself as state police.

You Are Guilty

I have been carrying a voice recorder in my car since 2006, when I had a series of unfortunate "pull overs" which could have been cleared if only I had recording of the cops. I have yet to use it, but my plan is that if I see flashing lights, the record button is then depressed.
A long time ago, probably 20+ years now, 60 Minutes ran a piece on a stretch of highway, I think I95, down south (Georgia?), where an inordinate number of minorities were being pulled over and ticketed. They outfitted a plain sedan with like 6 hidden cameras showing views front, sides, back, the road, etc. and a few voice recorders. Put a white driver in and no issues. Put a black driver in and, wouldn't ya know it, pulled over. Cop tells driver that he was stopped for his weaving and crossing the lines on the road. Of course, video shows the car never moved an inch. Shortly thereafter, minorities not stopped on that highway nearly as much.

Moral of the story? Taping is your friend, but being on 60 Minutes is even better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">