• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-compete clause from NJ company, enforceable in TX?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wf_chan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? located in TX and got sue by NJ.

-- My employment contract with a globle client in Texas just ended with the total length
of 2 years 9 months.
-- The first 2 years, I was under an agency A in NJ. Agency A contract
me to Agency B in Texas then to this client in Texas. (Initially 1 year extended
1 year)
-- After 2 years, I went direct with Agency B to this client. (extended 6 months
and another 3 months.) Ended last month and I am under unemployment now. Agency B and client and I all located in Texas and Agency B told me it's all legal in Texas.

Today, I was served with court paper from Superior Court of New Jersey.
1. Breach of Contract
2. Tortuous Interference
3. Breach of Duty of Good Faith and Fair Dealing
4. Unjust Enrichment
5. Misrepresentation and Fraud

Now, I'm confused with states Law. Should I fall under Texas jurisdiction or NJ? Is this non-compete agreement enforceable in TX?

I'm unemployed now, is the case still valid?

Thanks for your input.

Betty

You really need to talk to an attorney & show them the agreement. If you can't afford one, you can probably get a referral to a no cost/low cost attorney through your local legal aid society.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? located in TX and got sue by NJ.

-- My employment contract with a globle client in Texas just ended with the total length
of 2 years 9 months.
-- The first 2 years, I was under an agency A in NJ. Agency A contract
me to Agency B
in Texas then to this client in Texas. (Initially 1 year extended
1 year)
-- After 2 years, I went direct with Agency B to this client. (extended 6 months
and another 3 months.) Ended last month and I am under unemployment now. Agency B and client and I all located in Texas and Agency B told me it's all legal in Texas.

Today, I was served with court paper from Superior Court of New Jersey.
1. Breach of Contract
2. Tortuous Interference
3. Breach of Duty of Good Faith and Fair Dealing
4. Unjust Enrichment
5. Misrepresentation and Fraud

Now, I'm confused with states Law. Should I fall under Texas jurisdiction or NJ? Is this non-compete agreement enforceable in TX?

I'm unemployed now, is the case still valid?

Thanks for your input.
Get on the horn with agency B and see if they will defend you. Chances are they are also being sued, as they also had a contract with agency A.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">