• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination for use of a company credit card?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeHulsey

I work for a non-profit in Arizona. In January, I accidentally used my corporate credit card while making a purchase at the grocery store. Upon receiving the statement and balancing it, I noticed the charge and immediately paid it. Nothing was said t me at the time.
In May, I used my corporate credit card to book an airline ticket to visit my father. I sent an email to the Controller, telling her of this purchase and told her I would pay the card as soon as I returned from my trip. I did exactly as I promised.
At the end of June, I was suspended without pay, pending investigation. I was not given a reason at the time. After one week, I got a call from HR and was told that I was terminated due to unauthorized use of the credit card. In my letter of termination, I was informed that I had been warned about using the card (verbally) and I violated the policy. While I admit I should have not done this, I was not told it was a violation, I paid it before the statement was due and others use their credit card for personal use. None of that makes my situation good right now,m but those are the facts.
I also know that the Executive Director made a bad financial decision last year and my department sustained a $30,000 financial loss. I find it strange that on the last day of the fiscal year, i was terminated.
While I have no wish to go back to work there, I would like to clear my name.
Is this possible?

Proserpina

I work for a non-profit in Arizona. In January, I accidentally used my corporate credit card while making a purchase at the grocery store. Upon receiving the statement and balancing it, I noticed the charge and immediately paid it. Nothing was said t me at the time.
In May, I used my corporate credit card to book an airline ticket to visit my father. I sent an email to the Controller, telling her of this purchase and told her I would pay the card as soon as I returned from my trip. I did exactly as I promised.
At the end of June, I was suspended without pay, pending investigation. I was not given a reason at the time. After one week, I got a call from HR and was told that I was terminated due to unauthorized use of the credit card. In my letter of termination, I was informed that I had been warned about using the card (verbally) and I violated the policy. While I admit I should have not done this, I was not told it was a violation, I paid it before the statement was due and others use their credit card for personal use. None of that makes my situation good right now,m but those are the facts.
I also know that the Executive Director made a bad financial decision last year and my department sustained a $30,000 financial loss. I find it strange that on the last day of the fiscal year, i was terminated.
While I have no wish to go back to work there, I would like to clear my name.
Is this possible?

Clear your name?

You were in the wrong. You knew you were in the wrong.

There's nothing to clear.

justalayman

In May, I used my corporate credit card to book an airline ticket to visit my father. I sent an email to the Controller, telling her of this purchase and told her I would pay the card as soon as I returned from my trip.
and you didn't ask them if this was ok before doing it why?

I can see them letting the grocery thing go if it was an error but this was obvious misuse of company finances. Feel lucky they did not seek criminal charges. Yes, you committed a crime and not only was their firing of you justified, making you deal with a criminal charge would have been as well.

and the use of the card twice for your personal expenses show a pattern. They simply fixed the problem before it got any worse.

time to move on and hope they don't let your future employer prospects know about your misuse of company funds. It could be devastating to your career.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">