• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unemployment benefits requested to be paid back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbeltran92504

I got laid off, applied for unemployment which I did receive. Former employer filed against me stating I was fired for embezzlement. Former employer slandered my name. Information is not true, I was laid off because company contract ended. Now unemployment benefits are being requested to be paid back.

californiaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

Sometimes the word of the employer is just taken at face value at the first level. If you appeal, they will need to show some evidence of the misconduct they are alleging.

cbeltran92504

Yes i am on my second appeal w edd...
I didnt know he could just make allegations like that without any proof of evidence and me have to go thru the whole process to clear my name
ridiculous

im trying to find a lawyer who can help me maybe sue him for making me go thru all this in trying to clear my name from his lies

there has to be some kind of law to protect people from people like him who slander your name make threats and such...

Antigone*

Yes i am on my second appeal w edd...
I didnt know he could just make allegations like that without any proof of evidence and me have to go thru the whole process to clear my name
ridiculous

im trying to find a lawyer who can help me maybe sue him for making me go thru all this in trying to clear my name from his lies

there has to be some kind of law to protect people from people like him who slander your name make threats and such...
Could you be guilty of embezzlement?

swalsh411

I have never heard of a successful defamation case brought against an employer who lied only to the unemployment office. If your first appeal was denied then they must have had at least some evidence of misconduct. The process is carried out on the assumption that one or more parties will be less that completely truthful, and usually the more credible party wins.

BendOverIA

Mine was denied even without proof on their part.

I was told by a fellow worker that they called to find out just how to " get rid " of someone without having to pay benefits. Mine was safety. I do know of a gal caught stealing on tape and she STILL got hers because they didn't warn her the proper times.

The law here says that you should not be denied unemployment unless they can PROOVE misconduct. Iowa is an At Will State and they can fire you all day long. Doesn't mean that you should be denied.

BUT the judges here find ways of tweeking it to support thier own views.

In the long run, the states are broke and they are going to do what ever they can NOT to pay you.

swalsh411

I didn't say proof. I said evidence. Or more correctly, credible evidence. (more credible than you apparently).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">