• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reported mgr for policy violations, termed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wrongful Term

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I worked for a soft goods retailer. I reported the manager, as a part of my job (security-related), for violating Company policy: sharing alarm codes, safe combination, keys with an unauthorized Associate; intoxicated at work; egregious operational errors, etc. These are documented reports. After I did as instructed by a superior, I was terminated for "error in judgment" and for the first offense. I have otherwise received no write-ups or verbal warnings of any kind. My job performance "met standards" and I had no issues of attendance or tardiness.

I was singled-out in retaliation; the others involved in this non-incident remain employed.

At my termination session I offered comments and asked questions but was told, as it was an "HR decision" to direct my questions to them. HR is in New York; I sent a certified letter requesting an interview.

I understand California is employ-at-will, I understand the violations I reported the manager for do not apply to Whistleblower Protections.

Do I have any recourse? If the HR VP should call me as requested, what should I ask of her, or relate to her? I have an interview with EDD to discuss UI benefits. What should I be sure to communicate to them? And when the Company denies me benefits, would it make sense to appeal?

I sincerely would appreciate any advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

Tell EDD you were fired for reporting the policy violations. That is all you need to say.

Your former employer does not "deny" you benefits. They have a right to object/appeal, but the eligibility decision is made by EDD. They would have to have evidence of misconduct in order to jeopardize your eligibility.

You have nothing to lose by speaking to the VP of HR. In fact they may decide that you were fired unfairly and be able to do something about it. Do not however turn it in to a b*tch session. State plainly that you were a good employee (or at least average), thought you were acting in the best interests of the company, and do not feel your termination was fair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">