• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing over a car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ManM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

I am in Kansas. A little over a year ago my wife co-signed an auto loan (I know that's not a good thing to do). It was for our sons fiance.

Shortly after the loan was signed she left him. We are now obligated to make the payments when ever she misses a payment. Or else our credit will be harmed. She knows this and has stopped making payments on the car.

Her brother made a couple of payments and we have made 4. She has made it very clear she does not intend to make any future payments on the vehicle.

But her family is very upset with her and what she has done to us and to them. (there are many other stories of what she is doing to take advantage of her family and friends).

The bottom line is she titled the vehicle in her name and her mothers. We believe the names are listed with "or" and not "and" between their names.

The mother would like to sign the title over to us since we have been making the payments and she and her family cannot afford the car.

The mother and brother currently have possession of the vehicle because it is in need of some repairs. (She has no insurance on the car but lets friends drive it and they are tearing it up).

The mother and brother really want to try and make things right with us. They have the vehicle but the daughter will not give up the keys.

Our bank says we could get an "assist order" with the cooperation of the mother. We don't know what this is or how to go about getting such an order.

Does anyone have any advice on what we might be able to do to get the vehicle and sell it to pay off the loan?

Thank you in advance. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

justalayman

if mothers name is on the title, mother can take the VIN and proof of ownership to a dealership and get a new key made.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">