• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer signed ticket for me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ID

My speedometer cable broke a few miles before coming into a small town in north Idaho. The speed dropped to 35 and so I reduced my speed like the vehicles around me. Pointing the other direction in a turn lane was an officer on his cell phone. I'm in town now, not knowingly speeding or passing anyone and get pulled over. He tells me I passed him doing 50 something in a 35.

I explain my situation with the speedometer cable. He seemed understanding. I then mentioned how I was travelling in a group of vehicles to base my speed on which he laughed and replied "I was going to go easy on you until you said that" and told me I was the lead vehicle with no one ahead of me (I remember differently).

Then he started asking me how fast my car would go "theoretically" at the max speed. How am I supposed to answer that? I just told him I've never maxed it out so I don't know. He took my information back to his vehicle and came back with a ticket.

On the ticket it where it says something like "Defendant's signature confirming they received a copy" he wrote "SERVED" on it. Can they do that?

He also put the wrong license number on the ticket.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ID

My speedometer cable broke a few miles before coming into a small town in north Idaho. The speed dropped to 35 and so I reduced my speed like the vehicles around me. Pointing the other direction in a turn lane was an officer on his cell phone. I'm in town now, not knowingly speeding or passing anyone and get pulled over. He tells me I passed him doing 50 something in a 35.

I explain my situation with the speedometer cable. He seemed understanding. I then mentioned how I was travelling in a group of vehicles to base my speed on which he laughed and replied "I was going to go easy on you until you said that" and told me I was the lead vehicle with no one ahead of me (I remember differently).

Then he started asking me how fast my car would go "theoretically" at the max speed. How am I supposed to answer that? I just told him I've never maxed it out so I don't know. He took my information back to his vehicle and came back with a ticket.

On the ticket it where it says something like "Defendant's signature confirming they received a copy" he wrote "SERVED" on it. Can they do that?

He also put the wrong license number on the ticket.
Yes, he can.
And, knowingly driving a defective vehicle is no defense to your offense.

Yes, he can.
And, knowingly driving a defective vehicle is no defense to your offense.
I understand that. And saying I'm driving a vehicle without a speedometer helps to incriminate me further. I drove 230 miles away from home in a 44 year old vehicle and on the way back the speedometer cable broke.

I understand driving a vehicle with a broken speedometer is not a license to speed and was trying to obey the law when I was pulled over. I was just hoping they would be sympathetic to that fact that the cable did break, but nope.

The first officer assumed I was lying to him and gave me a ticket. And then a couple hours later coming into another small town, no one around I was slowing down (60 mph drops straight to 25 a half-mile before you get to town) and got another one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">