• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid travel expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zaheerali

I am employed in California. I recently was fired, with cause, and I am not disputing that.

However, my employer will not pay all my travel expenses. They paid some of them, but when I was suspended, immediately prior to being fired, all my files and my computer was seized.

The final day when I went to collect my possessions I was allowed to access my files but most of my receipts were electronic. Furthermore, they had completely confused my files and I was under pressure to clear out .

The company acknowledges that there are expenses showing on the former corporate card that were not filed, but will not pay for them unless I submit an expense report with receipts.

The company's actions have made me unable to do that.

Can I sue? The total is ~2k. Is it worth suing or will I have to eat it?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

pattytx

If that is the only record you have of your expenses, the only way to get them if they don't voluntarily supply them is to get a subpoena.

If you have a pretty good estimate of the amount, you could file a claim with the DLSE, explaining the situation. Might work, might not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">