• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid Invoices

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Danielca2

I owned my own small business in New York City. Now I reside in CA. Since relocating, one of my New York clients is refusing payment on two invoices. I have sent certified notification without any response. Is it possible to file a claim without having to return to the East coast? The amount is under $1000.00.
Thanks a lot.

JETX

Possible to file a claim? Yes.

Possible to pursue your case without travel to New York? Unlikely.

My suggestion:
You could hire an attorney in New York to pursue your claims against the debtors. He/She would at least send them a demand letter advising that failure to pay would force litigation and their having to pay all costs, including attorney. If they refuse, you will then have to decide on whether to continue (with probable travel to NY), or to drop any further action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">