• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court says officer was incorrect...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Edvard_Grieg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

So about a month ago, I was pulled over for speeding (not deliberate, just wasn't paying attention). I inadvertently was doing 16 over, the officer pulled me over, examined my record and essentially said that since my past driving record was good he would 'plea' it down to a "Not wearing a seatbelt" and assess me accordingly. On the ticket, it is 'checked' as "Speeding with the variance", but in the 'Plea' section of the ticket it clearly indicates a "0 point and $64 fine"

I meant to pay this at the Sheriff's office, but misread the date and it got sent to the courthouse. I went over to the courthouse, and attempted to pay the ticket, but was informed by the clerk and her supervisor that this was a '4 point ticket' and that the officer must have screwed up (even though the 'plea' is clearly indicated in triplicate etc)

I now currently have a 'Final Hearing' with a judge scheduled, but not exactly sure what to do, how to prepare, or how this may shape up. Any advice, recommendations etc?

I recognize I was speeding, but also that the officer pled me down to a lower infraction.

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">