• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

l2rdo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

So about a month ago I hired some contractors to do some work on my home. The guy came by and gave me a quote of 3,500 to replace the flooring on my deck, replace my tub with a new one with a sliding glass door, and replace my windows. We also talked about screening in the deck, which he said he wasnt sure about the price yet, which therefore wasnt included in the quote.

Two weeks ago they came by and started the work. After one week they had finished and screened the deck, replaced the windows, and had placed a cat door leading to the deck as well as sanding some doors in the house. The cat door and the sanding were not included in the original agreement, but they were willing to do it. I paid the 3,500, which they asked for at that point, but after the week was up, they had not even started the bathroom.

Half a week went by before I heard from them again, and they said that the bathtub would be more expensive than they had previously thought, and they werent going to be able to do that. They then told me they were going to refund me money based on the price of the tub. Another half week went by before I heard from them again. This time they said that the previously unquoted screening of the deck turned out to be more expensive than the tub and glass door, so they didnt owe me any refund.

I feel like these guys are trying to cheat me. The problem is that we never had a written contract, and everything was verbal. Am I screwed due to not having anything on paper, or is there something I can do to get some of my money back?

justalayman

The problem is that we never had a written contract, and everything was verbal. Am I screwed due to not having anything on paper, ?
Ya, pretty much. You have no proof of the breakdown of anything so claiming they overcharged you is going to be really tough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">