• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warranty Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

l2rdo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

In January I bought a sofa from Jordan's Furniture. I was reluctant to buy an expensive sofa because I have two cats at home and didnt want them urinating on them (my parents have had pets that urinate on furniture). I specifically told this to the saleswoman, who then told me that there was no problem, I could buy a warranty on the sofa that would cover it for 5 years, and that any damage to the sofa I could make a claim, and they would replace the sofa with a brand new one. I asked her explicitly if they would replace it for cat pee, because I didnt want a sofa that smelled like urine, and she guaranteed me they would.

A week ago one of the cats did urinate on the sofa, and when I attempted to make a claim, the warranty company said that they only covered physical damage to the sofa, and that smell wasnt covered. They also said that replacing an entire sofa was a last resort, so I cant "accidentaly" spill bleach on the sofa to get a new one that doesnt smell like urine.

Do I have any grounds for complaining to Jordan's Furniture? The saleswoman never actually gave me a copy of the warranty, so I never actually saw it, does that make me responsible for not knowing what was in it, regardless of what their saleswoman told me, and the fact that she didnt actually give me a copy of the warranty?

Last edited:

justalayman

I would suggest you obtain a written copy of the warranty and read it. Without that, they can say about anything they want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">