• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation and PC1210 Transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rudius

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

Yesterday I received formal probation and PC1210 (Prop36) in Orange County, California. The conflict is that I start school at Chico State University in Butte county on August 23. Now return to a different court (Prop36 court I believe) on August 10 to prove enrollment and I meet my probation officer on August 17. I'm concerned with the fact that I may not have enough time.

If I get an order when I return to court, will I immediately be able to start moving up there?

How good are my chances of getting a transfer approved at court? With my PO? Also what is the process like from both parties?

Speaking with the PO that was starting my file, he made it sound like I basically had no chance and I should forget about school. This brought me down; I really worked hard to get into the university and I feel that it would greatly improve my life with the new environment and new focus.

What are somethings I can start doing right now to ensure my place in higher education?

I will be assigned another PD when I return to court, should I consult a lawyer? With my case, if I hired a lawyer from the get go it probably would have dropped, but I decided to just take my lickings. Seems to have backfired on me. :eek:

Any information would be great! Thank you.

Why are you being assigned a PD? Did you get a violation?
You prove your residency issues and both judges sign off and youre in Butte. The process is the same as before... however, you can't go until its done unless you want to cause yourself more trouble.

Its going to get approved. You werent sentenced to remaining in Orange County... (that would be very cruel), you were sentenced to prop 36.

It requires both court judge approval (as before) but this is done so long as you get the residency thing squared away at you hearing IMO. I dont typically see fights over transfers so long as move is legit. In fact, courts want to get rid of you.

Last edited:

rudius

Well I had PD from the first court, and I asked her if she was going to be at the new court. She said I would be assigned a new one.

What would I have to bring to court? Anything official? I'm going to have my letter of admission, but with where I am staying - I'm renting a room from a couple.

Thats likely not accurate. PD's are released at sentencing unless appointed by the court for other things (appeal, VOP, etc). A PD isnt your lawyer forever :)

Now sometimes as a part of drug courts/ prop 36 reviews there is a PD that attends.. that doesnt mean they are assigned specifically to your case... they may have time to give you an ear and some quick advice though.

You need to be talking with your probation officer as to what he is going to want to see in terms of residency stuff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">